Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Giving and receiving

One topic I plan for this blog to address is philanthropy. Writing, like philanthropy, is something that is frequently becomes an "I'll do it later" task. However, I don't want to talk about procrastination now, but rather giving without reciprocity.

Since I'm interested in both writing and philanthropy, I was really impressed by this article from Glimmer Train which discusses the indirect benefits gained from participating in a writers group (critiquing the work of others making us better writers), as opposed to the direct benefits (getting concrete pointers on what is/is not working in our writing). It's a great example of how contributing to something makes us better and how the philanthropic spirit can be incorporated into different parts of our life. Practically speaking, it's also a good reason not to get as frustrated with the other members of your writers group.